> function f(a, b, z)
>    return a * exp(i*z) + b
> end
>
> The problem of the function above is that it looks clear and simple
> but in reality it is a disaster in term of run-time execution because
> a lot of small objects have to be created on the heap every time that
> it is executed.

Indeed. I fell the same pain when I write bindings for math operations
(and I've written several). I wish Lua told me that it wants a temporary
value. I could then use static allocation for those.

The only way out that I can see is to use an explicit block as in say
	complex.enter()
	complex.eval(a * exp(i*z) + b, a*b+z)
	complex.exit()

Not nice, but doable.