One .c file is good, I like it.

In C++, you can have one header file with factory functions that
instantiate data objects as static variables in function scope. Don't
know if this would be possible for Lua but if so, you could do Lua as
just one single header file for use in other programs, no link options
required.

Regards,
Mike

--