On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 17:54 +0800, xiaona han wrote:
> Hello,
> I am interested in the project "Supporting another lanaguag", which
> binding Lua to Xapian (http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoCProjectIdeas).
> Xapian is an Open Source Search Engine Library written in C++, with
> bindings to allow use from Perl, Python, PHP, Java, Tcl, C# and Ruby.
> If Lua binds to Xapian, what benefit do we have from a Lua developer
> view? Do you think it is easy to implement it?

Xapian has SWIG bindings for other languages, and this is supported by
Lua, eg see http://www.swig.org/Doc1.3/Lua.html

This should mean that a first pass interface is very simple to do, and
should just work (though you will need to test it, but porting a test
suite from another language that uses the swig bindings should be quite
simple as the API should exactly match).

You then may want to spend some time making the API feel more like
native Lua code, less sure about this as I haven't used Xapian enough
yet.

I do think this is useful...

Justin