Dear list,

I would like to announce the debut of Lua in the magnetic resonance scientific community as the core of an image reconstruction/postprocessing framework that is executed directly on commercial MRI scanners.

The following paper, recently published, describes the functionality of said framework:

Santini, F., Patil, S. and Scheffler, K. (2011), IceLuva: A scripting framework for MR image reconstruction based on free software. Concepts in Magnetic Resonance Part B: Magnetic Resonance Engineering, 39B: 1–10. doi: 10.1002/cmr.b.20184

The software was developed by us at the University of Basel (Switzerland) and can be installed on commercial systems (at the moment only the ones manufactured by Siemens) as a custom component. It is at the moment routinely used in Basel and in a few other research locations in Germany, Austria and US.

Unfortunately, due to non-disclosure agreements with the scanner manufacturer, which is providing the development environment, the distribution of the software cannot be free, but has to be limited to Siemens-approved research sites.

We would like to express our appreciation and gratitude to the Lua and LuaJIT developers and to the community for providing us with a great language we could build a nice and fast framework upon.

Best,

Francesco