On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 02:11:18AM +0200, HyperHacker wrote:

> Right, I was just suggesting that this is an easy mistake to make and
> it might help to have a note pointing this out. The behaviour is
> correct, but not immediately obvious if you use this syntax.

We've had a thread on gotchas, and the following point may have
been made before.  In that case, sorry.

While sympathizing with the plight of newbies (among which I often
still count myself), the best way to learn is via one's mistakes,
and the reference manual is not the place for trying to shortcut
that process.

Dirk

“Peter Studniczka fingered his battered copy of ‘1000 Words Commonly
Misspelt’.  Mr Parkhill often thought Mr Studniczka was more influenced
by the columns in which the words were spelt wrong than by those in
which they were spelt right.”
    — “The Education of Hyman Kaplan” by Leonard Q. Ross (Leo Rosten),
quoted from memory.