+1 all of the replies

In addition, it is nice that it is possible to do things like the
following:

--[[]]  -- Note: Untested code snippet for expository purpose only.
--[[]]  -- Re-load module "myModuleName"
--[[]]  package.loaded[ "myModuleName" ] = nil
--[[]]  require "myModuleName"

Also, if require were changed into a keyword, what would that mean for
package.path? Would it be converted to a function? Would that function
also be a keyword? What about cpath?

It starts getting pretty ugly, though I suppose the data members of the
"package" table could continue to be supported as-is, even if "require"
and "module" became keywords. However, it seems strange (at least to me)
to have keywords whose behavior depends on runtime variables stored in a
global table.

John Giors
http://ThreeEyesSoftware.com
jgiors@ThreeEyesSoftware.com