> Actually, it's a little more complicated than that.  In this case, I didn't
> look carefully but it would appear that Steve's credentials were
> compromised, i.e. he lost control over his GMail account.

It doesnt matter, SMTP has no sender identification mechanism. I can
send email form anybody. Some SMTP transfer agents only accept emails
from registered users, so if you know that agent is one, and you
inspect the headers in detail you can tell.

Thats why everybody should digitially sign all his/her emails. But we
are all just too lazy too, and this digital signing / checking and
keyring plugins aren't too popular. A few people care, but its not
mainstream.

BTW: Writing this from gmail myself, I didn't notice anyway a
possibility to easily digitally sign my emails, or check the
signatures of others in a keyring.