On 2/23/2011 6:05 PM, Francesco Abbate wrote:
[snip]
2011/2/23 Mike Pall:
[snip]
[snip]
What we are doing shouldn't be underestimated. We are implementing
numerical algorithms with Lua and we obtain performance comparable or
better than C or fortran. I think that this is a major advance in
computer science because, as far as I know, this is the first time
that an interpreted programming language like Lua can deliver this
kind of execution speeds. If we look at what happens in this
perspective it is certainly not surprising that, as we implement more
and more complex algorithms we can discover some minor problem with
the JIT.
[snip]

  "this is a major advance in computer science because"

Yes, you should try sending a paper somewhere and see if they let you keep such claims. There's tons of research and published papers in the area of JIT. The HP Dynamo trace compiler was doing faster-than-compiled-original speeds years ago.

It is more of a significant *implementation*, because as we all know, given enough time and effort thrown at something, even unwieldy things like Javascript can approach compiled binary speeds.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)