I'm not doing licensing, instead I have multiple embedded devices that
are identical except for the MAC address. I'm trying to identify the
device. The devices are Linux based so I can write some C code to the
MAC address. I was trying to avoid the C code and the corresponding
build/install complications.

    struct ifreq ifinfo;
    strcpy(ifinfo.ifr_name, "eth0");
    int sd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
    int result = ioctl(sd, SIOCGIFHWADDR, &ifinfo);
    close(sd);

    if ((result == 0) && (ifinfo.ifr_hwaddr.sa_family == 1)) {
        memcpy(mac_addr, ifinfo.ifr_hwaddr.sa_data, IFHWADDRLEN);
        return true;
    }
    return false;

--