On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Patrick Mc(avery <spell_gooder_now@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
I wanted to generate a bunch of "free standing tables within a namespace but not nested in another table. Each table would be a manufacturers part number and would start with letters and end with numbers, i.e WOT2930, hence the concatenation.

I bet I'll just end up doing this with nested tables or Globals but I was also trying to come up with a a DIY data structure in C. I was thinking that is I had 2 or more arrays in C within a function I could insert a key in one and a value in another and still reference both by their numeric keys. I am trying to build a constructor prototype for use in both C and Lua.

I wonder if what you really want is an environment here, http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#2.9 ?

Robby