Hi all,

On February 17, 2011 I'll be giving a Lua presentation at Linux Enthusiasts
and Professionals (http://www.leap-cf.org). Like many of my presentations it
will probably be a "Lifeboat and Speedboat" presentation, where the first part
goes over the basics at a slow speed, and the second part is a fast dog and
pony show of advanced features. All advice would be welcome (although of
course in the end I'll be the one determining the content). It looks like I'll
have approximately 1.75 hours for the presentation.

Maybe something like this:

LIFEBOAT
  Hello world
  Variable types
  Simple String Handling
    #stringname
    string.format()
    string.sub()
    string.match()
    Mention but don't elaborate string.gsub() and "regex"
  Console I/O
  File I/O
  Branching
  Looping
    While
    Numeric for
    Generic for with pairs() and ipairs() only
  OS Interface

SPEEDBOAT
  Callbacks
  Closures and Iterators
  OOP via closures (no metatables)
  Lua<=>Postgres
  Calling Lua from C
  Calling C from Lua
  Mention of Metatables and what they can do

Once again, the first part, the Lifeboat part is to make them Lua competent
newbies. The Speedboat is to make them salivate over Lua.

What do you all think?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt