On 1/28/11 2:19 PM, Axel Kittenberger wrote:
gotos are evil

That's a very old battle cry, of the Pascal crowd I thought, when they were storming BASIC's.

On 1/28/11 7:21 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
Gotos are not "perfect" in any way, not only scope, gotos are evil as
any overuse they create terrible hard to maintain code, and its easy
to do bugs, hangs etc.
That can be said about any feature, really. Bad programmers will write
bad programs no matter what features the language has.

But remember the last patch in the official 5.1.4-2 patch file. To me, that was the prototypical goto mistake. (There is no literal goto there but it's the classic constellation of 're-doing' with chairs slightly moved).

Told me that even genius programmers can make mistakes by using 1 or less gotos. Just the form of it even.

There was very good reason for that battle cry. I very, very rarely missed them. Do they fit Lua?

Henning