On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 06:24, Quae Quack <quae@daurnimator.com> wrote:
The big objection is having to declare upvalules. You had to do this
in lua4.0; and it was found that the current behavior was much better.

Indeed, I wasn't there at the time. But you also had to declare locals everywhere.

The unary % is nice btw, much better than my proposed upval keyword.

Another option would be to make local optional, for the cases where a declaration is mandatory, like say, for two mutually recursive local functions.