On Saturday 15 January 2011 15:53:26 Ed wrote:

> my fork of luapgsql:
> https://github.com/edo1/luapgsql
>
> db:exec('LISTEN somenotify')
> -- wait indefinitely for NOTIFY:
> db:notifywait()
> -- OR wait for NOTIFY, up to six seconds
> db:notifywait(6)
>
> for my needs NOTIFY-wait function is better, but if someone need
> NOTIFY-driven callback - it can be added as well.

Hi Ed,

I'm not even to the point where I can choose between db:exec() or the higher
level stuff. Look what happens to me with this little program:

#!/usr/bin/lua
require "luasql.postgres"
envv = assert (luasql.postgres())
con = assert (envv:connect("testlua", "slitt", nil))

The preceding program produces the following output:

slitt@mydesk:~$ ./littfails.lua
/usr/bin/lua: ./littfails.lua:4: LuaSQL: Error connecting to database.
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'assert'
        ./littfails.lua:4: in main chunk
        [C]: ?
slitt@mydesk:~$

Suspecting the database, I went into psql and did a \l command, which produced
the following:

                List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |   Access privileges
-----------+----------+----------+-----------------------
 junkdb    | slitt    | UTF8     |
 mydb      | postgres | UTF8     |
 postgres  | postgres | UTF8     |
 template0 | postgres | UTF8     | =c/postgres
                                   postgres=CTc/postgres
 template1 | postgres | UTF8     | =c/postgres
                                   postgres=CTc/postgres
 testlua   | slitt    | UTF8     |
(6 rows)

Note that for inclusion in email I removed the Collation and Ctype columns,
but all the databases were Collation en_US.UTF-8 and Ctype en_US.UTF-8

Anyway, database testlua was one I had just created within psql and I didn't
give it a password. So I'm confused why LuaSQL.postgres's connect() command
fails. I spent a couple hours putting in various combinations of stuff as its
arguments, did a bunch of googling, and absolutely nothing changed the
symptom. I'm beginning to think there's a basic fact that I'm missing.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package