Quoth Romulo <romuloab@gmail.com>, on 2011-01-14 11:55:23 -0200:
> I've submitted a variant of your code to LuaSnippets[1]. My function
> removes a element according to the predicated, instead of keeping it.
> The function is optimized to avoid unnecessary table assignments by
> finding contiguous slots "marked" as to-be-kept.

That doesn't look like an optimization at all.  As far as I know it's
going to be N table assignments either way, with N being the length of
the original list.  The only 'optimization' one could do in that
regard while preserving ordering would be to skip kept items at the
very beginning, and I'd hardly consider that worth the complexity in
general.

> --rb
>
> [1] http://snippets.luacode.org/snippets/Filter_a_table_in-place_2_120

   ---> Drake Wilson