On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Axel Kittenberger <axkibe@gmail.com> wrote:
-- this one preserves an existing metatable.__index unless it has a
naming conflict with table.x
function createShortcut(t)
  local mt = getmetatable(t) or {}
  local oi = mt.__index
  mt.__index = function(k)
     return table[k] or (oi and oi(k))
  end
end

I understand this code today, that's powered. Thank you very much.

@steve there is no witchcraft in doing metatables. The idea doing them
in a language is one of the very highlights to Lua. Just read the
manual in a quiet hour. Maybe it are the double underscores that
freighten people which in other languages alert "dirty compiler
specifc extension, or using libc internal not ment to be for you!"
well here they don't and are normal part of the language, I don't
100%ly understand why they are there.