On 13 Jan 2011, at 19:19, "Robert G. Jakabosky" <bobby@sharedrealm.com> wrote:

> I do the same with for loop variables that I don't want to use.  The first
> time I saw the use of _ I thought the compiler used it as a special way to
> omit that variable.  I have since found that it is just a valid variable
> name.
>
> I have seen the use of _ before, but I can't remember where.

Many languages use _ as a wildcard / dummy variable in their pattern matching syntax, e.g. Erlang, ML, Haskell. In these languages _ is special since unlike normal variables it isn't bound to the value that it matches and isn't unified with its other instances.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/