Is there a good tutorial on generating lua bytecode? I.e. I like
lua's VM&  lua's C-api -- but I don't like lua syntax too much.
Instead of writing a lua program to interpret my language, I'd prefer
to compile my language directly down to the lua vm. Thus, is there a
good lua tutorial?

This might not be exactly what you're looking for but it could provide a starting point: "A No-Frills Introduction to Lua 5.1 VM Instructions" which you can find at http://luaforge.net/docman/view.php/83/98/ANoFrillsIntroToLua51VMInstructions.pdf

 - Peter Odding