LuaSQLite ( http://luaforge.net/projects/luasqlite/ ) uses references for callbacks. This code was originally written many years ago (2002-4?) but is still maintained and in widespread use. It could have been converted to use userdata environments or a string-keyed shared-library upvalue table over the years, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (we were too lazy!). If references went away, we could certainly convert the code.