Hi all,

My UMENU program (perl version) can run a program in the background like this:

./ufork.pl command_to_be_run_in_background

Here's the code of ufork.pl:
=======================================
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

use POSIX qw(setsid);

sub launch(@) {
    my(@args) = @_;
    unless (fork) {
        setsid;             # set child process to new session
        unless (fork) {     # Create a grandchild
            close STDIN;    # close std files
            close STDOUT;
            close STDERR;
            exec @args;     # exec the x program
        }
    }
    sleep(1);
}

launch(@ARGV);
=======================================

In my Lua readings I haven't come across a fork() command. Is there a way I
can rewrite my ufork.pl in Lua? If not, is there a different way to do it in
Lua? If not that, I spoze I could do it in C and make sure it's statically
compiled so as to be distributable as a binary.

Anyway, anyone know how to do this in Lua?

Thanks

SteveT

--
Steve Litt