Storing the function in the environment table is one thing, but getting it back from C is another...

In order to get back to the function, I figured out this pattern:

0. On startup: create a weak table in the registry and store the location as a C global

1. push the weak table on top
lua_rawgeti(L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX, g_weak_table_idx);

2. create reference
lua_pushvalue(L, -2);
int func_idx = luaL_ref(L, -1);

.. later ..
3. push weak table on top and get function
lua_rawgeti(L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX, g_weak_table_idx);
lua_rawgeti(L, -1, func_idx);

Does this look ok ?

G.