I think next to Luiz argument, you cannot do much operations with
number of keys, the biggest down I see on number of keys is when you
have a list in a table together with some string keys. Or other non
integer keys. In that case, we still want # to be the size of the list
or?

I'd like to have some response on the proposal above, move current #
implementation into something like table.apex() and have # just call
meta __len, and if there is no meta __len error. Then its up to some
minimal basic lib to provide __len.

I think it would be very Lua-ish, since then everyone can make his or
her # s/he wants and with it there is a huge pitfall less for new
coders.