> I saw that, and agree with it.  In fact, in general I think that
> do-it-yourself using existing tools is the solution to 99.9 per
> cent of the things people want Lua to be changed into doing.

Honestly, this is a strawman-argument.

Meaning, you are creating a strawman of an argument to shoot that one
down. No one ever said you cannot do these things with Lua. The
argument is if a) about speed, that some things are faster when done
in core, like the "was always strict linear" flag, or b) a hugh
pitfall even on this very List I see again and again people fall for
it, in an otherwise so userfriendly language that starts arrays even
with 1.

If I take your strawman seriously, lets just remove # completly from
Lua, since its 2 functions: to count itself to a list, and
table.insert() can easily be done by a do-it-yourself using existing
tools.