With only a basic understanding of metatables and environments I have no business posting to this thread but if you will forgive the ignorance.....

Would it be possible to craft a mechanism to flag whether or not a table had holes? The flag could be set once a hole was created. This way the whole table would not have to be iterated later. Is this not just a true-false issue? surely the performance hit would be minimal.

Could I also propose the "solid" to refer to tables without holes

Thanks-Patrick

P.S does anyone know if a list of Lua gotchas was every generated from the thread a couple of weeks ago, I learned a lot from it.