On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Richard Hundt <richardhundt@gmail.com> wrote:
> If Lua had goto label and line number hinting (like Perl's during string
> eval), then I'd have stuck to generating Lua source.

Very interesting project!  These are of course the kind of 'low level'
features which make C a reasonable intermediate compilation target.
They would stand out in a modern high-level language like Lua, unless
it was accepted that the language was a good compilation destination
language.  I know that line-number support is fairly straightforward
using the token-filter patch, but a goto patch would be a bit more
involved.  (And having done goto support for a C++ interpreter I know
that scope issues can be nasty with arbitrary jumps.)

For serious speed, LJ2 is the way to go, but bytecode is not a high
priority in LJ, unless I'm misunderstanding Mike's position.

steve d.