On 12/28/10, Ignacio Burgueño <ignaciob@inconcertcc.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Robert G. Jakabosky
> <bobby@sharedrealm.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I would like to announce my latest project lua-handlers [1], an
>> asynchronous
>> socket & HTTP networking library that uses the lua-ev event loop.
>>

> Nice! Just two questions. Is this intended for server side code? I didn't
> see an http server example or something like that.
>
> Also, what does the nixio-handler provide?
>

> Regards,
> Ignacio

This is sweet! Many thanks to the author.

For the querent... This is a client library that may be used in a server environment. Information overload being what it is, an increasing amount of http traffic is automated - bots, scrapers, spiders, user agents. HTTP client code in this environment is used to aggregate and/or filter content and to interact with APIs. When you're combining data from multiple sources, the last thing you want to do is to send the requests one at a time and wait for each one to return before sending the next request. Instead, you want to send all your requests without waiting for answers and come up with a better strategy than waiting for dealing with unresponsive services.

The nixio handlers would be for the I/O library of that name. You don't have to leave your home network to be killed by latency. An event oriented interface for local I/O keeps your throughput from getting clobbered by latency from blocking I/O on those services.

For those of us building that kind of app, this is awesome sauce. :)

Chris
--
Sent from my Android phone with significant effort to avoid top posting.