On Sunday 26 December 2010 04:44:21 Philippe Lhoste wrote:
> On 26/12/2010 01:03, HyperHacker wrote:
> > Mm, unfortunately the Android client doesn't appear offer any of those
> > options, which is why I don't usually use it... thought it could at
> > least manage a simple question like that though >.>
>
> Aha! It reminds me a discussion we had in one of the Scala mailing list,
> where some people were telling that reminding (gently) some rules like
> plain text e-mail, bottom posting, trimming out quotes, etc. was rude,
> partly because they were old rules suiting to old e-mail clients, not to
> new shiny modern clients...
>
> I argued that the fact these rules were deliberately ignored by "modern"
> clients (Web-based (Gmail), mobile-based, or even desktop-based like
> Outlook) proved lack of knowledge or desire to seduce people by shinny
> easy features ("see, just push a button and type your line of answer,
> don't worry for the thousand of lines of inverted thread trail behind
> it") more than "modernity".
> And that not everybody had new computers with nearly unlimited storage
> capacity and high speed unlimited Internet connection (even some mobile
> users pay for this thread trail by the HTML byte...).

I don't know anything about the preceding, and I wouldn't dare get into a top
posting versus bottom posting slugfest any more than Vim vs Emacs, but in this
particular case I can say that the three Android created posts that caused
this debate made no sense to me and I couldn't understand who said what, and
that's always bad.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package