On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 09:41:40PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Daniel Silverstone:
> > When Pepperfish receives the MAIL FROM, before *any* other
> > processing occurs, we subject that address to what is called 'Sender
> > callout verification'.
> You should do this only for addresses which are not subscribed to the
> mailing list, I think.  You already know that the address is valid,
> after all.

As I explained in my mail, this check occurs before we know where the mail is
going.  Thus there is absolutely zero concept of "subscribed to the mailing
list" at this point.  Regardless, solid positive results are cached by the MTA
for a period of time and thus the check is not repeated every single time.
Also, an address subscribed to the list via the UI has no guarantee of being
valid; nor does an address once valid have a guarantee of remaining valid
forever.  Indeed we have found several junk addresses which would simply have
been clogging up the works before.

Regards,

Daniel.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69