Thanks, Everyone. My application that I am planning is going to be
using many text files to assemble a larger program for another
programming language (which also allows Lua to be embedded within it).
As the point of this project is to be able to generate audio in real
time, with the controlling language being the embedded Lua
interpreter, I was not sure how these various text files would be held
in memory.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
>  Lua is garbage collected---as long as you drop references to strings that
> are no longer needed, the memory will be reclaimed.

So, thanks, Sean, this is the point that I wasn't sure about. I was
wondering if once in memory, that a string would always be in memory.
I have used other real time processor languages that did keep all
strings in memory once they were loaded, and sometimes after several
hours of running, these programs would "blow up"...

Thanks again,

Mike