On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Dirk Laurie <dpl@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> In the light of that statement, one can't be blamed for expecting
> that s[i] means the i-th character of a string.  At present, s[i]
> is nil, even if i is in the range 1 to #s -- another gotcha.

I suspect that there's a very straightforward C extension waiting to
be written which provides an array of bytes which can be freely
translated to and from strings. sb[i] can also then be assigned to, of
course, and generally would be more efficient for applications that
need these kinds of string operations.

steve d.