> The title of this post is a quote from the Lua Reference Manual,
> Section 2.2 in Lua 5.1, Section 2.1 in Lua 5.2.  Stare at it
> again.
>
>     String represents arrays of characters.
>
> In the light of that statement, one can't be blamed for expecting
> that s[i] means the i-th character of a string.

Thanks for the feedback. We will correct this statement. Strings in
Lua clearly do not represent arrays of characters; people should
expect s[i] = "x" to work too.

It would be nice if everybody read the entire manual with such respect
to its details. At least everybody would understand what "#" means ;)

-- Roberto