I certainly find myself being paranoid and invoking tostring a lot when passing things to string.format and this seems less than ideal given that I have just said that I wanted a string. If debugging support is really important, I could see introducing a different escape character to mean "I want a string and you should use tostring to get one if need be". But since many of my uses of string.format are in debugging code anyway, I would like that code to be shorter and clearer about what is being passed in rather than wrapping everything in a layer of tostring().

Mark