I'm reading the manual for debug.debug(), and it states:

"... Using simple commands and other debug facilities, the user can
inspect global and local variables, change their values, ..."

But later:

"Note that commands for debug.debug are not lexically nested within any
function, and so have no direct access to local variables."

So, how can I inspect and change the local variables in the scope that
debug.debug() was called? Does it mean that I have to use functions like
debug.getinfo() and debug.getlocal() to access the current context?

There surely must be a simpler way... :)