<snip>
> > Would an explicit lambda keyword help?
>
> not sure. What yould be the semantics of this? A lambda defining a one-expression function? Because, if you go
>
> lambda(x) do something_with(x) end
<snip>

Sorry for jumping in late and following the discussion closely, but what about
not allowing statements and having something like below?

lambda `(' [parlist] `)' explist

I think this would cover most of the needs for a lightweight syntax. Taking a
recent snippet from Mark Hamburg, for example:

stream:map(lambda(x) x * x)
      :filter(lambda(x) x % 2 == 0)
      :subscribe(function(x)
        total = total + x