As this all just about a shortcut of making function statements less
clunky, in areas where needed, how about removing the need to name the
arguments?

is short for

function(a,b) return a+b, a*b end

But honestly as seeing Lua's anti-bloating philosophy, and this all
just adding brevity without new functionality I doubt we ever gonna
see it in stock Lua.

(BTW: I'd easily wave this all for continue ;-)