Thought I'd chip in with some statistics. For our current game, allocation stats are rougly 300 vectors per frame, meaning about 9000 vectors per second. These stats are after expending some effort going over the code to minimise unnecessary allocations.

Allocation takes about 1-2% of processing time. Regarding deallocation, we hide the GC on a low-priority thread during rendering so it's hard to estimate the exact overhead. Prior to doing so we would see GC times on the order of 5% of the frame.

I would hazard to say that the vast majority of all created vectors are temporary and could be caught with escape analysis.

/ Tom