On 26 October 2010 23:26, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>> I am looking for a simple way to generate and write a color image to disk.
>
> The simplest format is the Netpbm family of formats:
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netpbm_format
>
> Easy to generate from Lua. Here's a Lua program for generating a gray-scale
> picture of the Mandelbrot set (Mandelbrot died earlier this month).

Fun. Mostly as an academic excercise I ported your code to use my
lua-xpm library[1]. I was surprised to find that it took slightly less
time to produce the output (I guess due to less i/o), but the output
file size is about half (XPM is palette-based).

And on the assumption you don't mind, I've adopted that code for a
demo in the lua-xpm repository:
http://code.matthewwild.co.uk/lua-xpm/file/fa4d448b07d3/test_mandelbrot.lua
:)

Thanks,