On 26/10/2010 12:32, Marc OMorain wrote:
Hi Andre,

My answer was quite terse because I was typing on a netbook :)
No worries :)

If a node is freed, and that node comes after the lastfree, it can still be used in some cases. Let us assume that we have a table in a such a situation. There is a free slot after the lastfree, and we are adding a new key to the table.

When setting a value in a table, luaH_set() is called. Since our key is not already in the table, then newkey() is called. If the mainposition() of the new key is equal to our free slot, than the free slot will be used for storing the value. So there is no problem here - the free slot has been re-used, and there was no waste.
Sure, but my curiosity was about the possibility of rehashing while there are free slots available.

If the mainposition() of the new key is not equal to our free position, and the mainposition is not free, than getfreepos() is called, to find some free position in the table for our new key. This will decrement the lastfree pointer until it reaches the start of the node array. This will indeed skip the free slot. If this occurs, then the table will re-hash, when it might not necessarily have to.
Yup, the same conclusion I came to, I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

Andre

This is a real edge case, and is unlikely to ever be a bottleneck.