On 13/10/2010 12.05, Mike Pall wrote:
But you do realize that e.g. an FFT written in Lua is quite
competitive with C code when using LuaJIT? So if you're writing
something from scratch, why would you insist on _not_ writing it
in Lua? I'd really like to understand this sentiment.

I really hope to be able to use Lua for such low-level work.

Of course that would require an efficient, portable and fully predictable bit ops library. I really hope we won't have to cope with conflicting implementations. By the way, not being able to compile to JIT would seriously detract from the usefulness of the library.

--
  Enrico