Samuel Greear <lua@evilcode.net> writes:
> I didn't like the fact that the only option for loading a script into
> the kernel was to load the script source. I would make loading
> pre-compiled scripts the preferential method. In fact, I would
> probably tear eval out of the kernel lua implementation and only
> support loading of precompiled byte-code into the kernel.

Why?

The Lua byte compiler is so fast that it's almost never a significant
overhead, and in the context of a large OS kernel, the additional size
is negligible.  Moreover, pre-compiled code is considered much less
secure.

AFAIK, the only reason Lua supports loading pre-compiled code at all is
to help cases like embedded systems where every 10K saved is
significant.

-Miles

--
Arrest, v. Formally to detain one accused of unusualness.