> My current solution is to have a patched lua interpreter/compiler at hand with
> a small modification to treat OP_TAILCALL simply as OP_CALL

Isn't it enough to disable the line below in retstat (lparser.c:1251)?
        SET_OPCODE(getcode(fs,&e), OP_TAILCALL);
This prevents the parser from generating tail calls.

If you have precompiled code that uses tail calls, then you'll probably
have to delete the whole case OP_TAILCALL in lvm.c and have OP_TAILCALL
be handled by OP_CALL.