On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:53 AM, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Nilson <nilson.brazil@gmail.com> wrote:

>> extra instructions in 64 gives 12,5% of overheard on writes. *** I
>> really need benchmarks to measure the overall performance impact.  ***
>> This is one of the reasons because I asked for some help. I'm a newbie
>> in Lua internals ...
>
> A 'realistic' benchmark is always a good idea. Lua has a conservative
> design (which is excellent) and people need to see practical benefits.

I agree.

> People here already understand how to implement such policies without
> core modifications, after all.

Ok.

But IMHO, a native const could be a very useful thing, for example, to
protect libraries functions fields from changing, with a simple:
func =const(func)

I thought about the CONST patch because I saw a way to tag Lua's
values  when I as working on OOBIT patch. So I thought, what useful
thing could be done with tags? Then CONST patch smiles to me :-).

--
Nilson