On 28/09/2010 13:48, John Sampson wrote:
I have installed Lua for Windows (LuaForWindows_v5.1.4-40), which results in
icons for Lua and for SciTE appearing on the desktop.

That's not SciTE, that's the SciTE shipped with this distribution... :-) Which makes the thread on topic, of course.

Double-clicking on the SciTE icon results in the "program running" icon appearing
briefly, then nothing. Selecting "troubleshoot compatibility" and following the
instructions eventually leads to the information that the application is
incompatible with Windows 7. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Is it giving more information on the reason of incompatibility? What version of SciTE is shipped with LfW? (See About dialog) I am pretty sure I used SciTE (own build from standard sources) on the Win7 computer of my wife. IIRC the manifest was updated recently, perhaps that's the missing part? Maybe you can try and get the latest SciTE binary from scintilla.org and use it to replace the one you got?

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France