steve donovan <steve.j.donovan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Of course, people work with Lua and Visual Studio. But then they are
> surely capable of using binaries from LuaBinaries or building the
> libraries themselves.
>
> LfW is intended mostly for users of Lua, so there is no longer any
> compelling reason to use the MS tools for it.

World is not /so/ easy. I'm developing lua-scripts (with LuaForWindows),
which are to be used (in compiled form) by a windows application, which
(for my knowledge) is build with VisualStudio2008. (and where I have no
source)

Problems arise, when I require DLLs, which are copied from LuaForWindows
into the target application space. The Call-Tree:

[Foreign-Windows-Application-with-buildin-lua]
   load-and-calls-->
     [my-lua-script.luac]
       requires-->
         [some-lua-dll-from-LfW]
           has-dependency-->
             [some-other-dll-from-LfW]
               has-dependency-->
                 [some-microsoft-dll]

This is indended to work also, when only the application is installed
(including my script and required DLLs), but without installing LfW.
Specially I need iup to generate some settings dialogs for my scripts.

I'm not shure, what would happen, if the LfW-DLLs were build with mingw.

Regards

Another problem is, that "required" takes a look at package.cpath for loading
the DLLs, but "has-dependency" is resolved by Windows itself, not taking
care of package.cpath. I've still looking for a proper solution for this.