On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> "LPeg solution" is usually shorter, much easier to write and
> understand, more precise[1], and a lot faster.

Well, there has been a posted solution, which is pretty nifty, but I
remain unconvinced.

Perhaps because I'm not 'thinking' lpeg yet, but throwing a grammar at
such a simple file format seems like overkill.  If one was living and
breathing PEGs, then perhaps 'easier to write and understand' is a
true statement.

Of course, lpeg is an implementation choice, and implementation
details get hidden in sane libraries.  I'm all for choice, but I tend
to go with 'keep it simple' for straightforward text parsing jobs that
aren't particularly performance-sensitive.

steve d.