On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 09:56, Quae Quack <quae@daurnimator.com> wrote:
> On 25 September 2010 22:42, Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Announcing lua-inih 0.1: bindings for inih
>> (http://code.google.com/p/inih/), simple .INI file parser.

> I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would have thought an lpeg
> based library would be just as fast, and yet alot more versatile....

No problem, if you'll write one, I'll consider using it :-)

Why I did not use lpeg:

1. LPeg is a larger dependency that inih. (Okay, minor point, most of
people already have LPeg.)

2. My main goal with this library is to scratch my own itch and do it
quickly and cheaply. To help 'Lua module environment' or whatever to
develop in the right way is an important goal, but, in this case, a
secondary one..

3. If I would use LPeg, I would need to debug the problem-solving code
instead of debugging only the bindings for existing and working
library. It would take more time and effort.

In this case I do not want to waste time and effort — using INI files
in Lua is against nature. The only purpose of the library is to work
with legacy data and help convert it to serialized Lua tables. :-)

Alexander.