I feel doubly concerned about this thread, although indirectly, so I cannot resist to write about my experience :)
First, I am the author of the small mentioned utility called "DataDumper", written during the development of LuaDura. Feel free to use it.
And second, because I also have written a script called "midi.lua"!
But mine does not perform exactly the same thing. It opens up a MIDI file, reads it into a Lua structure in memory, and... plays it on a Olivetti printers orchestra !
LuaDura, mentioned previously, is a Lua based platform to control Olivetti printers firmware and hardware through USB.
Our printers have at least two DC motors that can produce sound when driven with a PWM in a audible frequency range. With three Olivetti printers connected, for example, the Lua script can play up to 6 notes simultaneously. This is can very impressive, when the MIDI file is well suited to this type of orchestra ;)