See http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2007-06/msg00088.html

Lightroom uses the call collectgarbage( 'step', x ) for some appropriate
value of x when working with images, but setting x is tricky. So, I
recently patched Lua as referenced above and have added an extraspace
field to our proxies together with an API to adjust the extra space
associated with the proxy. I haven't had things running long enough to
report on how well or even if it works, but it seems promising as a way
to keep Lua better informed of the memory in actual use.

It seems like this could be a good addition to 5.2.

Mark