Patrick Stinson <stinson6016@gmail.com> writes:
> Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Or even better, have a dedicated "lua-unsubscribe" list to which people
> > could post their unsubscription pleas.
>
> People would have to read the emails to know about that first

Not a problem!  The list admins, upon noticing an unsubscription plea on
the main mailing list, could simply subscribe them to lua-unsubscribe:

   We've noticed that you are having problems unsubscribing to lua-l.
   To further your unsubscription goals, and give you helpful feedback
   from our large community of unsubscribers, we've automatically
   subscribed you to the <lua-unsubscribe@lists.lua.org> mailing list,
   and forwarded your original request there.

   Happy unsubscribing!

   -- the list admins

-Miles

--
The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or
fears or wishes rather than with their minds.  -- Will Durant