LuaJIT have a good performance:
C++ vs
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=gpp&lang2=luajit
and C vs
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=gcc&lang2=luajit

Alex.

2010/8/30 Joe Finn <warriorjoe118@gmail.com>
Based on my experience with Java JIT, and without detailed knowledge of Lua JIT, I think the JIT probably produces much less efficient code than the C compiler for the same "script". That's just the nature of JITs -- they don't have a lot of time to do their job, the user is waiting while they compile, so they must be **FAST**. I'd be very surprised if the Lua JIT produces code that's more efficient than what a C compiler produces at -O2 or even -O1. There's usually a 3X improvement for cpu-bound algorithms going from -O1 to -O4 so that means that highly optimized C code can be (at least) four times faster than an equivalent JIT-ed Lua program.

Add to that the need for the Lua JIT-ed program to support introspection and the overhead of the data types of Lua versus the much simpler data types that are primitives in C, and I wouldn't be surprised for specific programs to see compiled C code be 10x more efficient (both space and time-wise) than an equivalent Lua program when running on a JIT.

--Joe